There are two ways to turn on subtitles/Closed Captions on your Android TV: from the Tubi Settings menu or on the individual video itself.
Activate captions from the Tubi settings menu
Navigate to the left of the screen to find "Settings" towards the bottom.
Scroll down to enter the Closed Captions menu:
Navigate right to activate/deactivate Closed Captions across all videos and customize the appearance of your captions on Tubi.
Note: If you turn captioning on from this menu, captions will be on for all Tubi videos with captioning available. You can still choose to deactivate captions for an individual video following the instructions below.
Activate captions on the individual video
- Open the Tubi app.
- Select the video you'd like to watch from the Tubi home screen.
- Make sure you see the CC icon near the top right of your screen, by the video's maturity rating (e.g. PG-13, TV-G, etc.). If the video doesn't have this icon, it doesn't have Closed Captions available on Tubi. This example shows the CC icon present:
- Press Play to begin playing the video.
- Once the video begins playing (after the ad break finishes), press the Play/Pause button on your Android TV remote to bring up the playback controls.
- Using the remote, scroll/page up until the captions icon, which will appear at the top-right corner of the screen as a dialog box icon, is selected (it will have a slight glowing outlined appearance when it's selected: ).
- Hit the Select button on your remote. This will bring up a submenu with the options Off, English, and Advanced Settings. Choose English to turn on captions, and Advanced Settings to customize the appearance of captions on a device level (this will apply to any app where captions are displayed).
- When captions are activated, the dialog box in the upper right corner will be orange:
- If you turn on Closed Captions and you don't see captions appear during dialog, please contact us and let us know what you were watching so we can review the title!